Quarantine Pot roast!
Updated: Apr 30, 2020
So... the world is in quarantine and I decided to make something that puts a smile on my family's face: a delicious Pot Roast.
Here is my recipe and also a step by step video linked at the bottom.
Stay safe and sane. Enjoy!
1 lb Chuck roast (About 1/2 kg)
5 medium potatoes
2-3 small carrots
1 tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce
1 cup of beef broth (or 1 cup of water and 2 beef bouillon cubes)
1 cup of red wine (any dry wine is good. I used Merlot this time because that’s what I had)
1 chopped onion
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 sprig of fresh rosemary
1/2 teaspoon of basil
salt to taste
pepper to taste
*Gluten free diet: make sure that the type of wine used, is under the requirements of your diet or skip this ingredient of your recipe.
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F (unless using a slow cooker).
2. Rinse the meat and pat dry it with a paper towel, coat season it with plenty of salt and pepper. If possible do it a night in advance, so you let the meat absorb all the salt and pepper flavor.
3. In a large pan on medium-high heat, sear the meat on all sides. We want to get beautiful color on all sides. Once all the sides are golden brown set aside on a plate.
———— [If using slow cooker, skip down to next set of steps] ————
4. In the same pan, using the fat left by the meat, sauté the garlic and onion for about a minute, work quickly so the garlic doesn’t burn! Add half of the Worcestershire sauce and add the carrots.
5. Add the wine and let boil to cook down the alcohol.
6. Add seasonings: salt, pepper, basil, I had some sage, so, added that too.
7. Add beef stock, potatoes and the put the meat back in the pan, giving a showering it with the remainder of the Worcestershire.
8. Add the rosemary, cover the pan with a lid, or aluminium foil and stick it in the oven for about 2 1/2.
9. After about 2 1/2 hours check the meat. The internal temperature of the meat should reach 200°F (93°C). It should be tender and almost falling a part, check the seasoning too and add some salt and pepper as needed. If the roast is not at the desired temperature, leave it in the oven until it reaches 200°F.
10. Serve with rice and enjoy!
slow cooker steps, continued:
4. Sauté the garlic, onions, veggies in the pan where you seared the meat.
5. Pour beef stock into used pan to mix with all the juices, and add into the slow cooker along with all the other ingredients, covering the meat with the broth.
6. Leave it and let it cook on low for about 8 hours.
7. Try not to open the lid. Each time you do open the lid, add 30 minutes to the original cook time.
8. Before serving, taste and adjust salt and pepper.
9. Serve with rice and enjoy!
Step by step video:
Make it and tag me #johastable